Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Netflix Binge Movie Marathon Weekend

So this past weekend I was watching little miss Puddin'. It was cold, and snowy, and we (yes she helped) decided to snuggle up on the couch and watch a ridiculous amount of movies on NetFlix. Some of these movies have been on my "To-watch" list, and some I had never heard of...

Stuck in Love (2012)
Rating: 8/10 Stars
I had never heard of this movie, but was intrigued based on the actors and the synopsis.  Basically, this very cynical family of divorce attempts to either avoid love or grasp onto it. The movie was very easy to get into, and I thought it was extremely well done.


The Pianist (2002)
Rating: 9/10 Stars
Based on a true story - some of my favorite types of movies.  This movie is about the holocaust, but it has a different point of view.  Instead of following a story about concentration camps, this movie focuses in on the Warsaw Ghetto.  I've heard of the ghettos obviously, but actually seeing it (at least through the movie) was more gut-wrenching and horrific than I had imagined. Adrien Brody won the Oscar for Best Actor, and if you watch this movie, you'll know why.


Blackfish (2013)
Rating: 8/10 Stars
This is a documentary about the killer whales (Orcas) in captivity.  It follows one particular whale (Tilikum) from capture, to killing.  This movie really sheds light on these beautiful creatures that are held captive for monetary gain.  I never had a want to go to SeaWorld, but after this movie, you will never ever catch me there...


Butter (2011)
Rating: 8/10 Stars
This is a movie about a butter sculpting competition in Iowa.  A very intense rematch culminates at the infamous Iowa State Fair.  If you aren't sold yet then I'm not sure what would entertain you :)  In all reality, this movie was hysterical!  Acting was great, and over the top - as it should have been.


Fargo (1996)
Rating: 7/10 Stars (I think that's generous!)
I've tried to watch this movie a number of times.  For some reason I never got to the end.  This time, I was determined to finish it.  Once it was over, I was very underwhelmed.  This is a movie about extremely stupid and terrible people.  Frances McDormand, however, was awesome! She won the best actress Oscar for this performance, and I have to agree that she deserved it.  She's the only reason I got through the whole thing.


Salinger (2013)
Rating: 8/10 Stars
If you are a fan of J.D. Salinger (I am, I am!!), then you should watch this documentary.  The film has writers, friends, fans etc. all discussing the reclusive Salinger.  This man was absolutely insane, and I for one, find that fascinating!


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)
Rating: 8/10 Stars
This is another movie set during the holocaust.  It was an interesting point of view.  It followed the son of a Nazi high commander.  When the family moved due to the father's promotion, their new home was very close to a concentration camp which his father was in charge of.  The son (Bruno) didn't know what this place was or why everyone at the camp was wearing pajamas.  He befriends a Jewish child on the other side of the fence.  This movie really makes you think.  Innocence of childhood and being raised a certain way. It's kind of like seeing a fairy tale from the point of view of the villain.  I definitely recommend to anyone who likes period pieces.  Plus, the acting was superb.


Tiny Furniture (2010)
Rating: 6/10 Stars (again, generous)
I'm a fan of the show "Girls" on HBO.  So I had high hopes that Lena Dunham would make a movie that I also enjoyed.  This, however, was extremely difficult for me to finish.  Dunham's character did nothing but annoy me (granted, her Girls character annoys me too).  The only thing I found interesting about this movie is that her real life mom and sister played her movie mom and sister. Talk about love....


So yeah, movie marathon to say the least. If anyone has NetFlix, these are all available to watch.  Has anyone seen any of these? Do you have any thoughts? Any recommendations?






No comments:

Post a Comment