Monday, January 13, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars

So I'm a big fan of media.  During the end of last year there were lot of lists going around the interwebs...(movies, shows, books, music...). On most, if not all, of the best books of 2103 type lists was something called "The Fault in Our Stars"

 The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 



Date Published: January 10th, 2012
I Completed: January 8th, 2014
My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Now, John Green is an extremely intelligent and fascinating (at least to me) individual.  He has a Vlog with his brother located here.  He is also part of a group of people at MentalFloss (which is where I first learned of who he is).

The Mental Floss videos are very entertaining.  They contain random facts, some useful and some not, all about random topics. This video series led me to following him on Facebook.

While following him, he kept talking about TFiOS movie.  I was so confused - I know FiOS as a verizon magical cable thingy. (technical term). I did a little bit of research, and found that he was making a movie based on a book he wrote.

I wasn't quite sure what the book was about when I started it - usually I do like a bit of a synopsis.  I started it one night, and within 24 hours - including sleep and my Remicade infusion!  The characters in the book are humans. They feel, and think, and there's no magic.  This is a book about having cancer.

I knew that the ending was not a happy one (one of John's Facebook posts was - why did I write such a sad book?).  But I kept guessing how it would end.  Even preparing myself for what happens, my emotions had quite the toll taken on them.

Throughout Hazel and Gus's relationship I felt like I was with them. Completely immersed in their world, which was simple, as it is our world.  I laughed and cried.  I giggled and sobbed.  I felt butterflies and a heavy heart.

This book reminded me of The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, which is one of my favorite books.

Suffice it to say, if you enjoy reading, read this.  It won't take you long and you'll be happy you did - even if you wake up the next day with a puffy face!




**Also - book lovers tend to be skeptical of the movie interpretations.  The movie comes out June 6th.  John Green was present for casting, shooting, pretty much the whole kit and caboodle.  So, my hopes are set pretty high and I hope not to be disappointed!
Hazel and Augustus - Movie Set - Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort

No comments:

Post a Comment