Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Movie Review: The Legend of Hercules

So I decided this past weekend that I wanted to go to the movies.  I had a gift card from Christmas, picked out a movie and went on my way - by myself!! (gasp!!).  I wanted to see Wolf of Wall Street, but didn't want to see a three hour movie by myself.  So I picked The Legend of Hercules.

I'm a big fan of Greek and Roman mythologies (though I have a hard time separating the two) so I thought even if it's a bad movie that I would enjoy it.

The Legend of Hercules
Released: January 10th, 2014
Watched: January 11th, 2014
My Rating: 5/10 stars

Starring:
Kellan Lutz, Gaia Weiss, Scott Adkins, and Roxanne McKee

Director:
Renny Harlin

Now, the version of Hercules that I know best happens to be the Disney version...
The Disney version include gods and godesses, titans and satyrs. The newest Hercules did not contain any of the mythical creatures besides gods.  

Now, due to horrendous traffic on 422, I missed the first few minutes of the movie.  But based on context clues I was able to fill in the blank. 

Basically, in ancient Greece, there was this dude who became a tyrannical ruler.  His wife wanted peace, and prayed to her gods to receive it.  Hera (Zeus' wife), goes to this queen and offers her to carry Zeus' baby.  (She had already had one by the crazy king). 

King Crazy-pants catches his wife doing it with someone (you can't see him, he's Zeus and doesn't need to be visible to get his freak on). He then vows that his son would always come before this child.  

Flash forward 20 years--->
Hercules, age 20 (drool)

Herc and his brother don't really get along, and they are both in love with the same girl, Hebe (pronounce He-Be, very odd name). She obviously loves Herc and they get married and live happily ever after.  JK!

After Hebe is announced to marry Herc's brother, King Coo-Coo sends Herc off to battle.  Word comes back that all of the men were killed, which leaves Hebe depressed and suicidal.  Of course, Hercules didn't die, but no one else knows this.  

The rest of the movie you follow Hercules and his journey to get back to Greece and fight for the woman he loves, as well as the people stuck under his "father's" tyrannical rule. 

This was in no way a great movie that will become a classic, but it did entertain me.  It had a fun story line.  And the best part, Kellan Lutz barely had a shirt on!!

Has anyone else seen it? Did you like it/hate it??

And if anyone likes to research stuff like I do, here's the Wiki link to learn more about Hercules...

No comments:

Post a Comment