Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Book Review: unSweetined

So any Full House lovers may have the theme song in their head from the title. And if not, you may now. Sorry about that, but not really...and if you dont...tsk tsk ;)

One of my favorite book genres would be biographies and memoirs. For some reason, I think people can be extremely fascinating. On a human to human level, I enjoy reading about people's lives.

Book:
unSweetined by Jodie Sweetin with Jon Warech

Published: November 3rd, 2009
I Completed: January 6th, 2014
My Rating: 3/5 Stars

Now, this example of a memoir is a guilty pleasure of mine, and the closest I'll get to a real housewife or Kardashian. I've recently been binge watching Full House and I have no decent excuse, other than nostalgia...

I recalled a few years ago that Jodie Sweetin (our dear little Stephanie Judith Tanner), was caught up in relationship issues as well as issues with drugs.  Well, apparently she wrote a book about it.

If you're looking for a book that chronicles her time on FH then don't bother with this.  While there are a few bits and pieces of what happened on or off set, this book follows the life of Jodie. And most of the book follows her from the age of 14-27.

The second sentence in the book goes as follows:
"First and foremost I am a recovering drug addict and alcoholic."
-unSweetined, 2009
This sets the book off in an immediate direction.  I instantly knew this was going to be about her personal struggle with whatever substances she was into.  

Not only does she take you from the beginning of her struggles, which conveniently began after FH wrapped, but she includes all of her personal relationships.  You follow her through her first night of having wine (which was also the first night she got drunk)(oh and also at DJ's real life wedding!!!!). She then takes you down the rabbit hole that was her desperation for avoidance. Pot, Coke, Meth, Speed...well I think Meth and Speed might be the same thing, but I really have no clue. During all of this, you meet her first and second husband (this was written before the third - and the thirds eventual divorce) and follow her handling of stress.

Basically, Jodie was a human, who got sucked into a deep dark place, and this book chronicles her climbing out of it.  The light at the end of her tunnel (at least in the book anyway) was the birth of her daughter Zoie (that's how it was spelled folks, apparently drugs are bad!!). 

My only real critique of this is that she finished the book too soon.  I wish she would have waited just a few more months so we know how everything turns out.  (I know, I know, no big deal).  This was an easy read - took me a few hours total, over a couple of days.

Oh - and if you want to follow her on Twitter or Facebook then that will make you just as corny as me :)

And for her sake, if you ever run into her, don't ask her to say "How Rude?!"

2 comments:

  1. I love memoirs as well; Glass Castle is by far one of my favorite. Loving your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather (or Ben, but I'm assuming Heather)!! I've added Glass Castle to my kindle list :)

    ReplyDelete