Monday, January 27, 2014

Book Review: Gone Girl

So I recently asked my Facebook friends what book I should read next.  The response was overwhelmingly in favor of Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl.  The book was already on my radar so I jumped right into it.

Gone Girl


Written By:
Gillian Flynn

Published: May 24th, 2012
I Completed: January 25th, 2014
My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Holy Crap!! This was such a good book.  Flynn did a tremendous job of keeping you interested. 

The general synopsis of this book - it's Nick and Amy Dunne's 5-year anniversary, and Amy goes missing.  All the evidence points to Nick, and along with his sister Margot (Go), he tries to prove it was not him.

Every other chapter in this book is written in either the perspective of Nick in the current time or Amy (via diary entries) in the past...  The end of each chapter was a cliffhanger of some sort, but you couldn't get to the continuance of that particular story until you finished another chapter.  This made me want to not put the book down at all!!  It took me a couple of days to read the book, but if I had just continually read (I do have other things to do sometimes) I could have finished it in a day!

I didn't have any idea how it would end, nor did I want it to end a specific way.  It just kept me guessing, and nothing was obvious.  Well played, Flynn, well played.  If you haven't read it yet, DO IT!! (I promise you'll like it, and if you don't, I'm sorry)

I'm not quite sure how this will translate into film (October 2014), but David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club) is directing so there is hope! Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike have been cast as Nick and Amy, of which I approve...

Here's some stills that have been release:







I don't have much faith that the movie will live up to the greatness of the book - but here's to hoping! No matter what happens in the movie, I will definitely be checking out more of Flynn's work.

Have you read Gone Girl? What did you think? Do you agree with the casting choices?




No comments:

Post a Comment