Saturday, February 1, 2014

Recipe: Mama Linda's Banana Bread

So my mother is a fantastical cook.  I know that everyone (or almost everyone) says this about their mom's cooking - but my mom knows how to cook some awesome things.  I also love to cook.  Sometimes my aunt and I will watch Chopped and instantly want to create something - or act like we are on it by creating things from the fridge and cabinets.

I was looking around the kitchen, and saw some pretty ripe (like almost furry) bananas.  Usually when this happens we make a recipe Lala has for UJ (Uncle Joe) using splenda and walnuts (yuck!). Because UJ has been on a bit of a carb-free kick lately, I was able to make them into my kind of banana bread. I asked my mom to send me her recipe (which I do frequently) and away I went.

[I decided to start documenting when I had already begun]

Mama Linda's Banana Bread




Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (very ripe)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup melted butter*
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup chips or nuts** (optional)

*I used light butter which is a mixture of real butter and margarine
**I only use 1/4 cup of chips


Directions:
1)  Set oven to 350°. If using a dark pan, 325°

2)  Grease bread pan
I use butter and I make sure I get the corners (helps with cleanup!)
3)  In large bowl, combine: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt

4) Make a well in the center of flour mixture and set aside. 
5)  In another medium bowl combine: egg, bananas, brown sugar, granulated sugar, melted butter, and vanilla
mashed bananas

melted butter

before mixing
6)  Add egg mixture, all at once, to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened, batter should be lumpy
left: egg mixture. right: flour mixture

both mixtures
lumpy mixture

7)  Optionally, stir in chips or nuts.  (my favorite are butterscotch chips, but I was out)
milk chocolate chips
8)  Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes, or, if dark pan, bake at 325° and check after an hour

baking in a fancy advantium!

Final Results!!
passed the toothpick test!

on a cooling rack

right out of the oven, with a touch of butter




Delicious and super easy!! Do you have a favorite banana bread recipe?  What's your favorite optional addition??

 

No comments:

Post a Comment