Sunday, February 9, 2014

Recipe: Crab Cake Wontons

Something that I've been making for years and years is actually something I learned to make when I was about twelve years old.  My neighbors needed help "catering" a dinner - and hired me and a friend to help prepare appetizers and serve them.  Though that's when I learned how to make them, I have officially made them my own...system and all.  It's also extremely easy....

Crab Cake Wontons
Ingredients:
2 Crab Cakes - pre-made, with jumbo lumps (none of that breaded crap!)
1 package wontons - you can usually find in the soy/asian section (refrigerated)
1/4 cup butter - melted
small bowl of water

1.
Start by putting a crab cake in a bowl. Using a fork - stir until a unified texture is created

2.
Next, on a clean surface, lay out approximately half of the wonton wrappers.

3.
Then, using a fork (or your hands, or a spoon...) place a bit of the crab cake mixture on the wonton
4.
Then you will fold the wonton over - forming a triangle


5.
Next, dip the edges of the folded wontons into the small bowl of water, pressing down, creating a closed seal.  Once completed, place on baking tray (parchment paper works well for easier clean up)



6.
Repeat these steps for the second half of the wontons and the second crab cake. I do this so the wontons don't get too dried out and crack when attempting to fold.

7.
Once both trays are filled with your wontons, brush the melted butter (I used light butter) on the tops of the wontons.

8.
Place in a 425° oven for about 10 minutes.  Bake until your desired wonton color is created (I personally like them very well done, these were made for a party so not as "burnty"


Once completely cooled you can store however you want, I tend to use a large Zip-lock bag, but you can also use a Tupperware container (or just eat them all)





As of now, I haven't figured out what dipping sauce is needed for these.  I've tried dijon, and it's pretty tasty, but I personally do not think they need sauce.

Do you have any go to quick appetizers you've made? Share a link to the recipe! I'm always looking for new tasty treats.






1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I love those won ton wrappers. We recently made steamed pork dumplings with them, yum!

    ReplyDelete