Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Movie Review: Carrie (2013)

I love scary movies. Good ones, bad ones...pretty much any type of scary movie.  (Human Caterpillar didn't count, that was a disgusting F'd up piece of crap. I won't even dignify it with a link) But other than that, I'm a big fan.  In fact, my 10th birthday party I had a sleepover, and we watched Nightmare on Elm Street, The Poltergiest (I may have slept during that one) and finally Carrie (1976).  When the remake of Carrie came out last year, I knew I was going to have to watch it eventually.

Carrie (2013)
2013 remake poster

1976 original poster
Released: October 18th, 2013
Watched: February 7th, 2014
My Rating: 6/10 stars

Starring:
Chloë Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore and Gabrielle Wilde

Director:
Kimberly Peirce

For a remake (which I usually think stink!), this was actually not that bad.  It didn't quite have the creepy factor that Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie brought to the original, but Moretz and Moore did well enough for me. Moretz brought more of a human quality to the character than in the original, while Moore was almost just as whack-a-doo as the original.

There were a few changes made to make the movie switch from the 70's to the 10's but that is something you would expect without remaking an actual period piece.  And you almost hope for a different ending than in the first one due to the humanity Moretz brings to the role.

Moretz (left), Spacek (right)
Stephen King has an uncanny ability to make the seemingly unrealistic the very opposite.  I have yet to read this work by him, (or any of his work for that matter), but it's on my "One Day" list.


All in all, if you're a fan of horror movies, this one really isn't so bad.  But if you're looking for the creep-you-out-can't-sleep-alone type, I'd have to say the original is the way to go!

Has anyone seen the remake? Thoughts? Anyone read the book? Is this a good starting point for Stephen King?
















No comments:

Post a Comment