Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Movie Review: The Wolf of Wall Street

Everyone has been talking about the new Scorsese film.  I was also excited due to the nominations it received as well as the cast of the movie itself.  Not to mention in order to complete my goal of watching all of the best pic noms I would have to watch this...


The Wolf of Wall Street

Released: December 25th, 2013
Watched: February 4th, 2014
My Rating: 7/10 stars

Starring:
Leonardo DiCaprio, Jonah Hill, Margot Robbie and a slew of other people

Director:
Martin Scorsese

Before I watched this movie, the only thing I knew about it was that it was about a rich dude on wall street who seemed a bit narcissistic (what I got from the trailers). I didn't read a synopsis. I didn't know it was based on a true story. But I did know it was a three-hour long saga.

The movie basically follows the life (post-college grad) of Jordan Belfort. His goal in life is to become a stockbroker and make more money than he knows what to do with.  He is married (to the mother from HIMYM) and they are happy, with dreams and ambitions.

Let's just say that the "happy" part of this story was extremely short lived.  Jordan got his first job with a company where he met Matthew McConaughey's character.  This guy takes Jordan out for lunch and basically says he needs to learn how to bullshit and do drugs to become like him. 

In an unfortunate turn of events, his first day as a licensed stock broker happened to be in October of 1987 - the worst day in stocks since the great depression.  The company then folded, leaving Jordan jobless and losing money rapidly. 

He ends up taking a job at a penny stock company, and shows them what he had learned in the big leagues.  One thing led to another - and he starts pulling in serious money.  Then in walks Hill's character, who is amazed by Belfort and his car (jaguar) and pay stub (75k in one month) and immediately quits his job to help Belfort start a company.

Fast forward a bit - Belfort starts cheating on his wife with Naomi (Robbie).  He ends up splitting with his wife, and marrying Naomi. 

this still shows a lot about the movie

The rest of the movie (which I shall not ruin for those who want to see it) basically follows Jordan and his rise in the stock world, and the obstacles he has to over come to survive the way he wants to.  The FBI was extremely interested in him, and looked for anyway to catch him.

This movie had a ridiculous amount of sex, drugs, naked things and copious amounts of overindulgence.  I'm personally not sure why it is up for best picture, or even best actor (sorry Leo), though Jonah Hill did a fantastical job!  I've been told the reason it's nominated is that it's a Scorsese picture - and people think he's some sort of film making god or something...

the real Belfort, far less attractive than Leo
This movie is however based on the true story of Jordan Belfort who has written two novels about his Wall Street life. You can view his Goodreads page here.

It's possible that this post seemed uninspired.  But to be honest, I was expecting a whole lot more out of this movie than what I got.  I know some disagree with me and others concur, but I really didn't care for this.

Have you seen it? Do you want to? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment