Monday, September 15, 2014

Hello Blog Land - It's been a while

So as you've probably noticed, I've been pretty absent from my blog. So much to tell you all - but I've been crazy busy in the best way possible. So here's some of the highlights that I've lacked sharing so far.



The most important thing I've yet to have shared is the surgery I had on July 14.

My mom flew up here from NC and we headed out to Cleveland on July 9th.  On the 10th I had a day chocked full of pre-surgery testing and meetings.  The scariest of the meetings was where I would learn about Ileostomy bags. (they are basically the same thing as a colostomy, but attached to your small intestine - which is where my Crohns lives) During this meeting, the wonderfully sweet nurse who explained things to me and my mom, I received two small tattoos (consisting of three dots) on two separate areas of my stomach.  This was to be where the bag would be inserted if I had needed them.   Now, I've gotten tattoos before, but these hurt like a bitch! Not to mention the idea of needing the bag was something I had come to grips with, but still didn't want.  (Don't worry - I never needed them.  But the tattoos are for life!)

After the incredibly taxing day - my mom and I headed back to the hotel and watched a movie. It was actually a Jake Gyllenhaal movie - ENEMY.  While we watched we couldn't believe how horrible it was.  We kept watching because we had faith that it would turn out better than it had been, but nope.  I've never been so disappointed with something he was in.  Granted - it is one of those movies where once you know the ending, if you watch it again you may appreciate it more.  So maybe I'll give it another shot one day - but not anytime soon. 

We ended up leaving the next morning to spend the weekend in Detroit with my Aunt Virginia and cousins, Morgan and Mindy.  This is when I finally got to meet Mindy's extremely adorable baby, Nickolas Alexander. Seriously though, cutest baby ever!!

Me and Nickolas

Nickolas and Mama

Nickolas and Aunt Morgan

tell me this isn't the cutest baby ever!


It was a pretty relaxing weekend hanging out with my family who I don't get to see that often.  It definitely calmed my nerves for my impending surgery.

This is the same weekend that I decided to treat myself to my first massage ever. And let me tell you - it was my best idea ever! That night, we had my "last meal" since I couldn't eat the day before surgery, and wouldn't be able to eat a normal meal for a while.  We got lobster, and I had two!! If that was my last meal, I was completely happy with it.

The next day my mom and I had to head out to pick up Lala from the Airport and check in to the hotel on the CC campus. But before we left, my mom, aunt Virginia and myself each used wishing paper and made wishes.  It was a nice way to cap off the end of the trip.

The following day was my surgery. I don't remember much of the day at all (or the next for that matter) which is good, because abdominal surgery is the worst!!

Basically - surgery went as smoothly as possible.  They removed all of the remaining Crohns and checked every single inch of my small intestines for any abnormalities.  Basically - a fresh start. I had a great team of doctors nurses and family with me, to push me to recover.  I was walking two days after surgery, and eating as soon as I could.  I was discharged after 6 days :) *last time was ten so woohoo!!

The ride home, is again - not something I remember too well- but I did get home and back to my bed sooner than I had anticipated - and without a stoma bag!!!

A few days after returning home, I ended up back in the hospital with an Ilius. Basically - my insides didn't like being poked, prodded and sliced open so they went a took a nap on me.  After another five days in the hospital waiting for them to wake back up, I was headed home again - and as of now - no ER or hospital visits since then!!

I'm doing pretty well.  Life seems to be coming together for me finally.  I'm hoping to start discussing returning to work with my doctor early next month.  I've got a pretty special someone in my life now. And after five years without fruits or veggies - I've started to introduce them to my diet.

There have been a few bad days here and there - but for the most part, I feel better.  This is what I've been waiting for, for five years now.  There's that part of my brain that keeps me grounded because you never know when it is going to come back or when the bad days will start to outnumber the good - but just the fact that I have good days makes me happy enough for now. :)  I'm trying to live it up as best I can before I start back with work (WORK!! so exciting!!) and I'm also trying not to over do it. It's been quite the battle, but I think I can reward myself with a little fun here and there :)

Thank you to everyone who has supported me, listened to me, or made me smile when I thought I couldn't.  I'm extremely excited with what the future holds for me, and I can't wait to share it with you all :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Rachel I am so, so, so happy for you! This is amazing news and I pray you continue to heal and get stronger every single day xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this now! So happy for you!!!! I really hope things continue to improve and you can get back to work soon. Did you read that book yet?!?! (I'm going to keep pestering you until you do <3)

    ReplyDelete