Monday, April 28, 2014

Movie Review: Divergent

As I have mentioned - I knew I was going to have to go see the film version of the Divergent trilogy. One afternoon, after many phone calls to doctors, and hospitals, and basically everyone and their mom who wants money from me...I decided to treat myself to a matinee of Divergent.

Divergent:
Released: March 21st, 2014
Watched: April 16th, 2014
My Rating: 8/10 stars

Starring:
Shailene WoodleyTheo JamesZoƫ Kravitz and Kate Winslet

Director:
Neil Burger


Firstly, I'd like to comment on the cast.  I thought that the choices made for each role were done brilliantly.  I didn't need to know who they were - I could already tell just by looking.  This doesn't always happen in a film adaptation of a book (remember Dudley from Harry Potter - that still makes me angry!!)


I thought that the adaptation of this book into a movie was done very well.  I am one who can admit that they can't possibly fit every single thing from a book into a movie.  The parts that they grazed over - were (in my opinion) grazable. Also - because I read all three books in succession - I can't be sure if the ending fit the ending of the first book - but it definitely ended perfectly set up for the second.

From a plot standpoint - this was a well rounded movie.  The action sequences were intense (and not vomit inducing!!) and the SFx were nicely done.  I don't feel as if you needed to read it to be able to completely understand the movie.  Nor, do I think you have to read it to see the movie.

Shailene handled her role as Tris with confidence (and timidness) that the character deserved.  And Theo James.  Hello, Good Sir!  Not only is he beautiful, but he sold the character of Four (Tobias) and his chemistry with Woodley was palpable.


I will have no problem going to see the next installment - especially if it means getting to continue the series AND seeing Theo James without a shirt on again.

Has anyone else seen the movie? What did you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment